|(AP Photo/Chris O'Meara)|
The Sooners survived in Tallahasee this week,
but will they keep their #1 rank when they play Missouri this week?
Week 3 in the college football world was full of surprises and exciting games as six teams in the Top 25 lost. The #5 Florida State Seminoles lost to #1 Oklahoma, and #25 Mississippi State lost to #3 LSU. The other teams in the Top 25 who lost were #15 Michigan State, who were upset by Notre Dame, #17 Ohio State, who lost to Miami, #21 Auburn, who lost to Clemson, and #22 Arizona State, who lost to Illinois.
Top Three Performances by Player or Team:
1. Boise State QB Kellen Moore- Moore had a great game passing for 455 yards and throwing five touchdowns. Moore helped lead Boise State to a 40-15 win over Toledo.
2. South Carolina RB Marcus Lattimore- Without Lattimore, the Gamecocks would have lost to Navy on Saturday. The heisman hopeful rushed for 246 yards and all three South Carolina touchdowns.
3. Oregon RB LaMichael James- James has improved since his bad start against LSU. This week James rushed for 204 yards and three touchdowns, helping Oregon win 56-7.
Top Three Disappointments by Player or Team:
1. Florida State QB EJ Manuel- Manuel did face the #1 Oklahoma Sooners Saturday, but that isn't an excuse for his poor play. Manuel threw for under 200 yards, no touchdowns, but had two interceptions. When he was knocked out of the game, backup Clint Trickett gave them a chance to win the game, after leading them from behind tie up the game, but once Manuel returned the Seminoles ultimately lost.
2. Michigan State Spartans- Michigan State became the first team this season to lose to Notre Dame. Their run game was terrible, and their defense also wasn't very good. If Michigan State wants to keep up it's reputation of being a good basketball and football team in the Big Ten, they need to prove it.
3. Ohio State Buckeyes vs Miami Hurricanes- This game was overall a giant disappointment. Both teams committed NCAA violations and had players sitting out because of the violations. In the past decade, these two teams have both been top teams in the country and even played in the National Championship game ten years ago.
Game of the Week: #1 Oklahoma vs #5 Florida State
This game proved that the Oklahoma Sooner's #1 ranking wasn't a mistake. A lot of people criticized the Sooners saying they weren't the best team in the country, but they like the best team in the country Saturday. The Sooners ended the half with a 13-3 lead in Tallahassee, stopping the Florida State offense from reaching the endzone. The Sooners picked off Seminoles' quarterback EJ Manuel twice and knocked him out of the game with a shoulder injury. Even when Florida State came out of the second half strong and tied up the game, Oklahoma fought all the way through, and ended up finishing the game on a 10-0 run.
Next Week's Five Intriguing Matchups:
1. #3 Alabama vs # 14 Arkansas- Can the Tide fight off an aggressive Razorback team?
2. #7 Oklahoma State vs #8 Texas A&M- Both teams have dynamic offenses, so at the end of the day who will have scored more touchdowns?
3. #2 LSU vs #16 West Virginia- LSU faces another tough opponent in the red hot Mountaineers. Can LSU pull off another victory vs a ranked team?
4. #1 Oklahoma vs Missouri- This game is close every year and although Missouri dropped from the rankings, they will still make this game interesting.
5. #11 Florida State vs #21 Clemson- Can Florida State can rebound from a tough loss at home, or will Clemson continue it's streak and knock off another ranked team?