|(Photo by Sam Greenwood/Getty Images)|
Mike Gillislee tore apart LSU's rush defense on Saturday, burning the Tigers for 146 yards
and two scores. SEC Teams: Watch out for the Gators because Florida football is back!
Upsets, upsets, and more upsets! This week was easily the most chaotic week so far in the college football season, and it gave a major shake up to the new AP rankings. (3) Florida State was upset on the road by unranked NC State, (4) LSU fell to (10) Florida at The Swamp, (5) Georgia was badly beat by (6) South Carolina, (15) TCU was upset by unranked Iowa State, (24) Northwestern dropped their first game of the season to Penn State, and (25) UCLA fell to unranked Cal Berkley. Despite those six upsets, there were still three other teams in the AP Top 25 who lost last week. (11) Texas lost to (8) West Virginia in a shootout, (21) Nebraska was defeated by (12) Ohio State at The Horseshoe, and (23) Washington lost to (2) Oregon.
New AP Top 10:
1. Alabama Crimson Tide
2. Oregon Ducks
3. South Carolina Gamecocks
4. Florida Gators
5. West Virginia Mountaineers
6. Kansas State Wildcats
7. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
8. Ohio State Buckeyes
9. LSU Tigers
10. Oregon State Beavers
Top Three Performances by Team or Player:
1. South Carolina Gamecocks- This team is for real, and coach Steve Spurrier has them believing they can go all the way to the BCS National Championship Game. The Gamecocks played a very complete game against Georgia on both sides of the ball. Their offense managed to score five touchdowns while their defense shut down the Bulldogs to just one score.
2. West Virginia QB Geno Smith- This guy cannot be stopped, plain and simple. Smith had another spectacular game, throwing for 268 yards and four touchdowns against a very good Texas team. Did I mention he's thrown 24 touchdowns and zero, I repeat, ZERO interceptions thus far. It's going to take a miracle to knock this guy off the Heisman throne.
3. Ohio State QB Braxton Miller- Miller continues to do wonders for a Ohio State team that keeps overachieving. Yes, Urban Meyer is a great coach, but even he didn't expect the Buckeyes to be this dangerous. Miller threw for 127 yards and a touchdown, but also ran for a career high 186 yards and another touchdown.
Top Three Disappointments by Player or Team:
1. LSU Tigers- After contending for the NCG just a year ago, the Tigers have looked far from impressive in the first half of the season. Their offense hasn't clicked at all, and that showed in Saturday's loss to the Gators.
2. Florida State- What in the world happened to the Seminoles last week? After having one of the most explosive offenses in the nation, they were limited to just 16 points in their loss to unranked NC State. The Seminoles can still contend for an ACC title, but their National Championship hopes are all but finished.
3. Missouri Tigers- The Tigers haven't had the best luck since joining the SEC. In fact, the team is winless in in-conference games this season. Maybe the switch wasn't the best move for the Tigers.
Game of the Week: (4) LSU vs. (25) Florida
What's better than Tigers vs. Gators at The Swamp for college football's "Game of the Week?" Nothing. The Tigers traveled down to Gainesville as the lower ranked team, but came back home to Baton Rouge as the higher ranked team. Florida outplayed LSU from the get-go, and despite going down early in the game, the Gators never gave up and continued to fight for the win. After a defensively dominated first half for both teams, the Gators trailed the Tigers by a score of 6-0. In the second half, Florida's offense woke up as running back Mike Gillislee had identical 12-yard touchdown scores to put the Gators up 14-6. From there on out, the Gators continued to shut down the Tigers' offense and went on to win the game. Gillislee finished with 146 rushing yards and two touchdowns to earn player of the game.
Next Week's Five Intriguing Matchups:
1. (3) South Carolina vs. (9) LSU- Can South Carolina confirm their National Championship hopes with a win, or will the Tigers rebound from their loss last week?
2. (17) Stanford vs. (7) Notre Dame- Stanford has already upset one Top 10 school. Can they do it again this week?
3. (15) Texas vs. (14) Oklahoma- Red River Rivalry at its best. Who wins this year's game?
4. (19) Miss State vs. Tennessee- The Vols have fell off the map recently, but can they revive their season with a big upset win?
5. (22) Texas A&M vs. (23) LA Tech- The two teams finally face off after having their season openers postponed.