|(AP Photo/Christopher Jackson)|
Collin Klein, meet America. America, meet Collin Klein.
Kansas State's dual-threat quarterback is taking over the nation, one team at a time.
This past weekend was one of the quieter weekends in college football. Six teams in the BCS Top 25 lost, but only two of the six teams were upset by higher ranked teams. (7) South Carolina lost to (2) Florida; (13) West Virginia and Geno Smith lost their second straight game to Collin Klein and (4) Kansas State; (18) Texas A&M failed to hold onto their lead against (6) LSU; (23) TCU lost to (17) Texas Tech in triple overtime; (21) Cincinnati was upset by unranked Toledo, while (24) Iowa State was upset by unranked Oklahoma State.
BCS Top 10:
1. Alabama Crimson Tide
2. Florida Gators
3. Kansas State Wildcats
4. Oregon Ducks
5. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
6. LSU Tigers
7. Oregon State Beavers
8. Oklahoma Sooners
9. USC Trojans
10. Georgia Bulldogs
Top Three Performances by Team or Player:
1. Kansas State QB Collin Klein- Optimus-Klein had another spectacular game, this time trouncing West Virginia's defense for over 350 all-purpose yards and seven touchdowns. With Geno Smith's Mountaineers losing two straight games, is Klein now the frontrunner for the Heisman? I think so.
2. Alabama Crimson Tide- I have given this team no credit at all this season despite the fact that they remain undefeated. They play in the SEC and go up against tough opponents each week. The reason they are not mentioned is because their games are usually not close. Now, it's time to give the Tide some credit for being the best of the best so far this season.
3. Texas Tech QB Seth Doege- I'm really strarting to like this kid. He is leading this Texas Tech team and has them believing they can do serious damage in the Big 12 this season. Doege had another impressive game this week, throwing for 318 yards and seven touchdowns!
Top Three Disappointments by Player or Team:
1. West Virginia Mountaineers- After starting off the season as serious threats, this team has fallen off the map rather quickly. Geno Smith is doing the best he can, but West Virginia's defense is downright atrocious. If they keep allowing this many points per game, they may be out of the Top 25 sooner than later.
2. Virginia Tech Hokies- Where have you guys been this season? After starting off the season ranked in the Top 15 once again, the Hokies fell off the map quickly and are now 4-4. This team is underachieving in a conference that usually has them set up for at least a share of the ACC title.
3. South Carolina Gamecocks- I know, this team has a brutal schedule, but still they've got to disappoint after losing two straight games. The Gamecocks finish off the season with a relatively easy schedule, so hopefully they win out their remaining games.
Game of the Week: (4) Kansas State vs. (13) West Virginia
This highly anticipated Big 12 showdown turned out to be more of a one-sided affair. While America did get to witness Collin Klein vs. Geno Smith on the big stage, it wasn't as close as expected. By the end of the first half, Kansas State already led 31-7 thanks to four touchdowns by Optimus-Klein (3 rush, 1 pass). Klein and the Wildcats continued the beatdown in the second half, and by the end of the game, they were up 55-14. Klein finished the game with 323 pass yards and three passing touchdowns, as well as 41 rush yards for four rushing touchdowns. Smith finished the game with 143 pass yards and a touchdown. Smith also threw his first and second interceptions of the season in the loss.
Next Week's Five Intriguing Matchups:
1. (2) Florida vs. (10) Georgia- The Gators have yet another tough matchup. Can they continue to survive in the SEC?
2. (5) Notre Dame vs.(8) Oklahoma- Talk about a physical and emotional game, this one should be interesting.
3. (3) Kansas State vs. (14) Texas Tech- Over/Under combined score of 120 points? Not even kidding.
4. (1) Alabama vs. (11) Miss. State- Will the Tide finally lose?
5. (25) Wisconsin vs. Michigan State- These two teams played twice last year and both games went down to the final seconds. Need I say more?